Kapellendorf Moated Castle is one of the largest preserved moated castles in central Germany. In the mid-12th century, the castle was built by the burggraves of Kirchberg as their primary fortress and for protection of the nearby trading route. By the 14th century, the defences of the complex had been increased by the construction of numerous towers and by the addition of a moat. The Prussian headquarters were located here in October 1806 when the battle of Jena and Auerstedt between Napoleon’s troops and Prussia raged in the direct vicinity.
- 3D model